Orthopedic is a medical term that describes the care of the musculoskeletal system. Orthopedic problems can affect many pets, including dogs. While some orthopedic problems in dogs can be minor inconveniences, other cases might be debilitating for your pet. In this case, you may need to seek orthopedic surgery. It can be so scary to hear that your dog needs pet surgery. However, with the right veterinarian, your dog will be safe and recover and heal quickly.
At Grand Park Animal Clinic in Katy, TX, our veterinary team offers orthopedic surgery. When you visit our clinic, we will make sure that your dog is comfortable and relaxed. We will look at your dog’s medical history and condition and perform a physical examination. Our vets will determine if orthopedic surgery is right for your pet. If so, we will explain the surgery and recovery and help you along the way.
Causes of Orthopedic Problems in Dogs
Understanding the possible causes of joint and bone problems in dogs can help you reduce the chances of orthopedic issues. Your dog is exposed to several risk factors in day-to-day activities. However, certain circumstances can put your dog at further risk and increase the chances of it developing orthopedic disorders. These risk factors include the following:
- Excessive body weight: Heavy bodyweight exerts more pressure on the bones, contributing to several bone and joint disorders and even ligament tears and arthritis.
- Poor feeding habits: Poor nutrition during the developmental stage of your pet’s life can cause issues. Excessive or deficient amounts of calcium can lead to orthopedic problems.
- Underlying genetic conditions: Many orthopedic problems results from genetic conditions, like dysplasia. Your dog’s breed might be more prone to orthopedic problems.
Determining if Your Pet Needs Orthopedic Surgery
Not every single sign of an orthopedic problem requires orthopedic surgery. However, don't hesitate to contact our veterinarians if you notice any of the following signs in your pet:
- Abnormal stance or gait
- Lameness or signs of walking difficulties
- Lethargy or lack of energy and enthusiasm
- Misshapen limbs
- Reluctance to move
- Stiffness or inability to rise and move easily
- Swelling of the joints
Our veterinarians can see if your pet needs surgery. Every procedure will be different depending on the pet’s condition, but we will tell you everything you need to know before the surgery.
Schedule Your Pet’s Appointment
If your pet is suffering from orthopedic problems, surgery might be able to help. At Grand Park Animal Clinic in Katy, TX, we offer orthopedic surgery, along with post-operative care and rehabilitation. We are committed to helping your animal live a healthy and happy life. To learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment, call us today.